Friday, April 10, 2009

Tea-Dyeing your fabric....


I love the vintage look..... If it looks old, it will catch my attention. When I use fabric for my projects, so many times I find it necessary to tea-dye it before I use it. Here I am getting ready to make a rag garland and another rag corsage. This is a very easy process.

Supplies:

*Your fabric (make sure that it is a fabric that will hold the tea-dye such as any cotton or muslin)
*2-3 tea bags (depends on how large your pot is and how much fabric you are dyeing) I use LIPTON tea for the simple fact that a good Southern Sweet Tea is made with LIPTON.... And this girl loves Sweet Tea!!!
*Large pot filled with water.

Bring water to a boil, add tea bags and fabric!

Let the fabric set in the pot absorbing the tea for as long as you want. Of course the longer it sits the darker it will be.

Let the rags drain and then put the rags in a good area to dry.

I wish this was tea - dyed!!! Hmmmm...... I will be making a tea-dyed flower tonight!This is the threads that I pulled from the muslin....

Any ideas on what to do with it????

19 comments:

Faye said...

YVETTE,LOVED THE POST!HAVE A VERY BLESSED EASTER! BLESSINGS, FAYE

From the Old InkWell said...

Yvette, thanks for your heartfelt message below this post. You've inspired me this good friday morning. Have a wonderful day and blessed Easter. Marsha

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

Lovely post!!!

Caroline said...

I love that rose...maybe I'll try it this weekend.

kyllimarjaana said...

I have no ideas , what you're going to do . Interesting to know .
Have a Blessed Easter .

Anonymous said...

Oooo, Love these post and of course TEA!

Have a Lovely Easter!
Hugs♥
~Lynn

Mary said...

Hey Yvette, looks like you could use the stuff as hair maybe, or put out for the birds to use in their nests!!
Have a wonderful Easter my friend, and I will see you next week!!! YEA!!!

kathy said...

Yvette -- I too love things tea dyed -- You could use some thread
in your little nest --
Have a Blessed Easter - Kathy - ga

The Feathered Nest said...

I love aged, dyed fabric too Yvette!!! and I can so see those threads as extra fibers for a nest! xxoo, Dawn

Jean said...

I've tried tea dying but never this way. I'm sure it's better than using hot tap water. Thanks for the info. Jean

The Stylish House said...

Yvette,
I love the look of tea dyed fabric, it just feels so right. You have a very pretty site, and I always enjoy my visits.
Have a wonderful Easter
~Cathy~

Mermaids of the Lake said...

Beautiful blog, great, inspiring post! Thank you! And... I think that the muslin threads look like Mermaid Hair!

Unknown said...

How about hair for an angel doll : )

Happy Easter, Ms. Yvette!

Anonymous said...

Love the color of the tea-dye. might try that on a doilie. Thanks for sharing...I love Lipton Tea too! Mmmm! Happy Project Friday and Happy Resurrection Day! Kathy

Country Romantic said...

The tea dye project is such a neat idea for a vintage look. Thanks for the tip. :)

Hugs & Blessings,

~Katherine~

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Yvette..you won the wedding cones!!! My email just send addy and I will ship out! Wow!

Sugarplum Cottage said...

Thank you for joining Project Friday and showing everyone how to tea-dye fabric. I've done this several times myself. It is great for those primitive looking projects. Thanks again and Happy Easter. Hugs, Rosemarie

Irma's Rose Cottage said...

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs :)

Irma

One Vintage Hag said...

Been meaning to tell you ~ i bought your beautiful corsage at the "village" for Lindsey's shower coming up in May.
you are too talented girl-y~!
love all your stuff & instructions too,
~one vintage hag

The Charm House II

Charm House I

I will turn Blessings into Praise!

I will turn Blessings into Praise!