Monday, July 26, 2010

Blessings from a Grandmother....

Yesterday my family laid my Grandmother to rest. It was a very long, hot day full of emotions. Grandmother was a very unusual grandma in the fact that even at the age of 93, she still liked to have her fun. She used to say.... "No Fool, No Fun!" Being the oldest grandchild, I had the honor of speaking to everyone. I am placing my tribute in my post with hopes that it will inspire someone to live harder, play harder and love harder. I will miss her dearly!

I also hope to start blogging again. Since May 15th, 3 of the 4 of my children graduated from college, had both my son and daughter get married (my son in Barbados), turned 5o with a surprise party and then buried my grandmother. To say the least I have been in a different world. So, saying that.... it is with great desire that my life will slow down and I can start writing again.

July 25, 2010
Grandma Moon

Until the end, Grandma found joy in the simplest of things. Being connected to a breathing machine at the end, she would take her breathing tube to lasso her nurse, all the time smiling and knowing she was up to her mischievous ways. At the nursing home, she ventured down to Mr. Murray’s office to be turned away by the office Staff. She was convinced they thought she was trying to kidnap him. Her reason for visiting him??….. “I just wanted to tell him how much I appreciated him having a place for all of these little old ladies”. Even in the nursing home, Grandma never wasted her time. She could be found riding in her wheelchair while pushing other patients in their wheelchairs down the hall. She always had to find herself either being playful, helping others or getting in trouble because of her fanny kicking’s to the staff. She loved to kick fanny, That was Grandmother...

As far as her family, she was continually giving us advice on how to run our lives. One day after sitting awhile and talking about the news of Campton, grandmother looked up and said, “Yvette, You need to remember that you must always protect your name!” I knew exactly what she was speaking of, but I sat there and listened, trying to grasp each and every word. She explained to me that in much earlier days, times were hard for her. She was raising four children on her own and during those days it was not easy. Grandmother continued on telling me that she had made hard and difficult decisions because she wanted to be the best role model for her children.
She wanted to make decisions for her family that would become a pattern lived throughout generations.
Her desire was to work hard, to give hard and to love hard.
So many times she would tell us things we didn’t want to hear… but Grandmother was never scared to tell the truth regardless of who was on the receiving end. She wanted to be the good example, to keep her name strong in the community and with her family. Most of all, she wanted all of us to carry on that same example. I know these words of wisdom were repeated often to all of her grandchildren, with our desire being to live up to the example she set for us.

Grandmother’s words ring so true….
As a parent, she taught us that we have to live the way that we want our children to live.
If we want them to love Christ… We have to love Christ!
If we want them to serve others… We have to serve others.

Grandma loved her family and always showered love on people who walked through her door. She always welcomed others with her daily efforts of making life easier for them. Walking in her back door you were greeted by her well-tended flowers, a different one blooming each month as well as the smell of the food that she had cooked for the day, waiting for whoever showed up at her kitchen table. Most of the time, you would find her sitting at her sewing machine, making and taking care of clothes, baby doll clothes and quilts for those she loved. I never remember a day that Grandma’s back door was locked to anyone.

Grandma Moon was the most precious, of the most precious grandmothers. She has blessed so many lives and I think Grandma would hope nothing less than for us to carry on her legacy of love and kindness with our family and friends. She provided us all with tiny nuggets of wisdom that she would want us to cherish for generations to come.

Our grandmother has always been an example of a strong, accomplished woman. She has so many people that love and admire her. I hope that as a Proverbs 31 woman I can keep the Moon name strong through loving Christ and serving others as she did!

Today we have to Rejoice and Praise God because we know that Grandma is in the multitudes of angels. Knowing how much she loves a family gathering, I know that she is having one incredible celebration, rocking hard in her rocking chair, Bebe in her lap and smiling from ear to ear. I know Grandma looked into God’s eyes and He said, “Well done my good and faithful child.” Again, thank you for being here and joining our family as we celebrate the wonderful life she lived.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear Yvette~ what a beautiful post to your sweet Grandmother. I am sure she is having a grand time in Heaven!
Please take care of yourself and rest, you have had so many monumental events happen in such a short time.

Hugs and Love,
Lynn♥

The Other Side of Me said...

Hi Yvette,

What a wonderful tribute to your grandmother. Kept her spirit and love of life to the very end! Thanks for sharing that.

Try to get some rest! You have been one busy lady lately.
Tammy

Mary said...

oh my what a beautiful legacy she leaves all of you with. She sounds like she squeezed every drop of living out of life. I have a feeling she is doing more than rocking in her rocking chair - wonder if there aren't a few fanny kicks going on there - just for fun!! I am sure God received her with a huge smile on his face!!! You honored her so very well my friend.

You take extra care of yourself, though the majority of all you festivities have been joyful, they still take a toll on us. Take time to sit and remember all the blessings and love of the past several months.

Hugs!!!

Sue said...

What beautiful words to honor such a strong, incredible woman! I know you will always carry a part of her in your heart, that's just what we do. My dad was the "bad boy" of assisted living before he died. He passed away only five months after my mom died. I think he missed the love of his life.

Take care, Sue

Joanne Kennedy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your grandmother sounds like such a wonderful woman and you were blessed to have her in your life.

My grandmother was not a kind lady and I have no warm memories of her. She never had us spend the night, bake cookies or tell us stories of when she was young. She belived that children should be seen and not heard.


I wish I had a grandmother as sweet and kind hearted as yours.

I'm sure she will be greatly missed.

Hugs,
Joanne

Anonymous said...

How lovely. And how lucky you were to have had someone like her in your life. Being terminal myself I AM inspired to live the rest of my life more 'out loud'. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sue said...

Dear Yvette,
I am deeply sorry to hear of the passing of Grandma Moon...I know there is now a big void in your life, but you are filled with so many wonderful memories to pass on to the next generation...I pray that my grandchildren feel the same about me as you felt about Grandma Moon...You and Grandma are in my prayers. Blessings to you.

Sueann said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Grandma Moon sounds like a terrific lady and I know she is surrounded with family and friends right now. She is having the best time.
Take care dear one and rest.
Hugs
SueAnn

The Charm House II

Charm House I

I will turn Blessings into Praise!

I will turn Blessings into Praise!