Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Collector & What I Collect March 16th....


Tour for Collectors

One of the threads I have found that most bloggers have in common is that we all have this unbearable desire and love to collect. Whether it be dishes, ribbon, bears, fabric or even the oddest of trinkets; we seem to feel an affection for being drawn to having a group of objects are being taken in to having something of our past. For me, I love to pick up an old door handle or key and wonder who turned the key or handle of the door. Could it have been someone who made a difference for all of us by changing the future? Or could it have been someone who was afraid to turn the handle, afraid of what was beyond the door!


My grandmother and mother started the fire growing in my belly. My grandmother would give me trinkets of her past and tell me stories about her life growing up as a child, I knew it was hard. In the same voice, I could hear how much love she had for the smallest of gifts such as the tin cup and oranges she received one Christmas. My mother started me on my crystal collection~ The one I loved the most... The beautiful Forest Green Boopie Bubble Tea Glasses from Anchor Hocking. They became an obsession with me. I tried to find every glass I could at $10.00 and under. I wanted all the girls in our family to get a set of eight for wedding gifts. At this point between my mother and I we could probably host a wedding.


Collecting~


It can become an Octopus, with its tentacles wrapped firmly around you, never letting you go! It is amazing, how at times it becomes an annoyance and other times it becomes the joy that brings us the calm during the storm.


“Of course, I started as a collector. A true collector. I can remember as if it were only yesterday the heart- pounding excitement as I spread out upon the floor of my bedroom The Edward G. Robinson Collection of Rare Cigar Bands. I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me. My father and uncles and all their friends turned their lungs black trying to satisfy my collector's zeal.


And then came cigarette cards, big-league baseball players. I was an insatiable fiend, and would cheerfully trade you three Indian Joes for one of that upstart newcomer, Ty Cobb.”


Edward G. Robinson


On the 15th of each month

I will have my

Mister Linky waiting for you to sign up...

What I Collect...


Please,

Come andJoin

The Charm House

as we ALL proudly

show our

TREASURES & TRINKETS

that we so
like to
COLLECT!


Mr. Linky will show up bright and early that morning!

6 comments:

Sue said...

I will try and remember to join you...get so forgetfull in my old age,,,,,How is Grandma doing?
Hugs
Sue

Tiedupmemories said...

I can't wait to see your collection!

RR Mama said...

Sounds like fun! I can't wait to see what you have...just a glimpes from the holiday's is enough to make me want to go shopping!

Cindy said...

That sounds like fun! I can't wait to see all the collections and I'm sure I may find something new to collect..OH NO!

Just a heads up if you've never used Mr. Linky before. He doesn't show up until you hit "publish". That took me awhile to figure out!

sassydesigns said...

Hi Yvette, thanks so much for the "Collectors" invite~sounds fun! I have a silly question, what is Mr Linky and how do I join in that morning? I am a bit computer slow!LOL I am just getting the hang of blogging!LOL Take care friend, xox
Dee~

. said...

Will you have this event again? Denise

The Charm House II

Charm House I

I will turn Blessings into Praise!

I will turn Blessings into Praise!