Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Keeping up the History of the Family...

A picture that hangs in my Mother's house and that was just given to me by my Aunt Betty to scan. This picture is of my Great Grandmother and Grandfather Mitcham and their family. My Grandfather and Grandmother Shumate are pictured in the middle.

I love pictures................ I can't help it! I feel like I am the one that has been selected (by myself of course) to take on the burden of carrying on the traditions and history of our family. History, the word sound so important........ When we look it up, the dictionary says 1: tale, story 2 a: a chronological record of significant events often including an explanation of their causes 3: a branch of knowledge that records and explains past events
Now I like these explantations of a history of a families past, especially the first~ a tale, a story. How often I like to tell the story of how something happened to my children or how we got into a certain perplexing situation as a family. And now with the digital camera, often this situation is recorded into history immediately onto the computer! If you love pictures as much as I do, here are a few hints...
1) Make sure that you download your pictures from your camera to computer immediately. Don't allow your pictures to back up. Keep your pictures caught up so that you can keep them filed properly.
2) Have a filing system on your computer. Figure out how best to file your pictures. I file mine under events. I have a Christmas file and then under the Christmas file, I file them by year. The same goes for Halloween, 4th of July, My daughters dances, etc. As far as family pictures~ I try to file them as best as I can. Vacation pictures each had their own destiny file. We vacationed at the same Island each year so for us that was easy.
3) At this time of my life, I seem to be making a lot of PowerPoint presentations for my families weddings, anniversaries, etc. I have found that if I make a file for each person I know that has an event coming up, I can just copy and drop pictures into their file as I find them. This saves me so much time when I get ready to make their PowerPoint presentation.
4) Also, go ahead and run the pictures through Photoshop and make your adjustments. It is so much easier to do them while you have time instead of when you need them!
5) Only keep your good pictures, DUMP your bad pictures! This is the hardest thing for me to do! I am the world's worst at dumping pictures! I think I will spend a hour doing that today!!
6) Be sure to back up your files regularly, digital pictures are treasures that can be lost forever if you have a hard drive crash.

No comments:

The Charm House II

Charm House I

I will turn Blessings into Praise!

I will turn Blessings into Praise!